October 01, 2009

Sunshine Salsa



So remember last week when i got a million fantastic tomatoes?  One of things i have always wanted to do was make my own salsa, and now i finally have a chance to do that!  So i did, and IT WAS GLORIOUS.  I don't know if i can ever go back to store-bought salsa.  It's just that good.

And so, as a sister to my Sunshine Guacamole, I bring you the recipe for my Sunshine Salsa.

Ingredients:
-4 cups chopped tomatoes of whatever variety
-1 onion, chopped
-4-5 cloves garlic, pressed
-1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
-1-2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
-1 serrano pepper, chopped
-1 lime
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp onion powder
-1 tbsp cumin <--important

For this recipe, I used these big beautiful tomatoes.  First i washed them.



Then i kinda took off the belly button.  What do you call that part where the stem was? 



I chopped up the onions and threw those into the big bowl.



Added some cilantro...hello lovelies!



The all-too-important garlic.  Ohhhh yeah baby.



But in this recipe, something even MORE important are the peppers.  Beautiful, mouthwatering peppers.  I used three different kinds.



I cut off the tops and split them in half.



Then i took the seeds and white veins out, and sliced them into little pieces like this.



Hmm...what am i forgetting?  OHHH yes :)  The lime.



OHHH but it's not over till it's over.  After adding the salt and onion powder to the lot, you still have one more key ingredient that is a MUST in my book.  A nice heaping tbsp of cumin.



And that's it.  I let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour before digging in.  The longer the flavors sit together, the more fantastic the salsa is.



If you're gonna freeze it, i would suggest waiting a day before sticking it in the freezer.  It'll allow all the flavors come together and be ONE.

Mmm, it is so fresh and you tickle your tongue in so many ways: citrusy lime, sweet tomatoes, fragrant cilantro, spicy peppers and onions, mouthwatering cumin...all in one!



I'm telling you, you can't go back to eating store-bought salsa after this.



Try it :)  Ask around at work to see if anyone grows tomatoes and would like to share some.  You can promise them a fabulous jar of salsa.  Or better yet, send them a link to this post.  You'll be doing them an honorable favor.  (shameless, sunny, shameless)



For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

2 comments:

  1. I made your steak fajitas for dinner last night....hubby loved them!! Delish!!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin