October 18, 2009

Sunday Story: Last Day

I have a morbid tendency to imagine dramatic scenarios in my head, and ask myself, What would I do?  Like, if i found out i have a terminal illness and only have 3 months to live, what would i do?  Well, one such question is, if I only have 1 day to live, what would I choose to eat?  This is given the assumption that my friends and family are so sad about my impending doom that they'll bring me whatever I want to eat.

:)

First of all, i would definitely not count calories.  You'll see why.

For breakfast, I would have an Asiago Parmesan Bagel from Brueggers with which I would make a sandwich with thick slices of bacon (real bacon, crispy and salty and greasy), egg, and 2-3 slices of pepper jack cheese melting over the edge.  I would wash this down with a huge glass of orange juice.

Then I'd go get me a Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte, and for the first time, get it full fat AND with whip cream.  I've never had one like that, and this would be the time to try it.  I know this is a seasonal drink, so let's hope I die in the fall.

Okay, then lunch.  Oh dear.  So many possibilities.  I would get a really well-made garlic baguette, several different kinds of olives, thick slices of manchego cheese, stilton blue cheese, brie, and a really good farmer's cheese.  I would also need deli meats...let's go with some chorizo, pepper-encrusted salami, and pepperoni.  And with that, I would have me the most fantastic grub plate meal that a girl could ever hope to have.

For a snack, I'd have 2-3 pieces of Wooden Milk Bread.  I'm sure my Hong Kong friends wouldn't mind flying out to bring me some, if i said i was dying.

For dinner, i have to have Korean food :)  I would have sam gyup sal in all its glory, layered with green onion salad and slathered with the salt-pepper-sesame oil dip.  For banchan, i would have japchae (which really doesn't go with sam gyup sal at all, but i'm kinda pressed for time here...), and kim and pa buchim (green onion patty thing).  Mmm!  And I'd have shot after shot of soju with my dad until we're both pink. 

Yes, i think that's how I would do it.

And I'd die one happy girl.

Or wake up the next day (darn, it was a false alarm) about 10 lbs heavier and with various cardio-vascular ailments.  Crap. 

----------------

What would YOU eat if you had only one day to live?  Come on, be morbid with me :)

4 comments:

  1. hahahahaha "let's hope i die in the fall" hahahahaha i love you, sunny! (and now i'm totally gonna contemplate my last meals.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that's really tough.

    I think for breakfast, I'd have my dad cook me his Sunday morning breakfast of bacon, eggs over easy, hash browns, toast, and coffee. That's just ultimate comfort food right there.

    For lunch, I would probably have the salad to end all salads. I freaking love salads. I'd have not only lettuce, but spinach or arugula along with it, ham, a couple different kinds of shredded cheese, carrots, broccoli, radishes, cauliflower...basically any kind of crunchy veggie you can think of, bacon, and (Lord, help me) plenty of Ranch dressing.

    For dinner, I'd keep it simple. Shrimp scampi with a side of French bread with garlic-infused olive oil for dipping. Obviously, there would be a great glass of wine to accompany this. And for dessert, a massive chocolate...something. Really, at that point, I don't think it would matter as long as it was real chocolate and huge.

    And even though I broke this down by meals, I'm pretty sure that if I only had one day left, I'd spend the entire day with my family....eating everything I could. Great post! Very thought-provoking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I agree with Shana that I would really find lots of non-food related ways to spend my time, this meal plan is way too much fun.

    Breakfast: Hot Ty-Phoo tea with milk AND sugar (living dangerously already!), OJ, crepes with homemade strawberry jam and almonds... Oh, heck, and some bacon.

    Lunch: Los Aztecas - my favorite Mexican restaurant in Iowa (which is probably terrible in terms of good Mexican restaurants, but, hey, I never claimed to be classy...). My favorite salsa, chips, refried beans with monterey jack on top, dirty rice, and a spicy chicken burrito. And, of course, a nice big frozen margarita.

    Supper: (as though I'd still be hungry) Classic fondue with gruyere and emmenthal cheese, with pear, strawberries, apples, lovely crusty bread, and some carrots for dipping. Even though a white wine would probably go better with the fondue, I'd have a full bodied DOCG Riserva Chianti. Also water (to cleanse my palate?), and a small side salad with spinach, poppyseed vinaigrette, strawberries, and pecans.

    Even though I really wouldn't have any room for desert, I would have Coldstone cake batter ice cream with my Nana's hot fudge sauce.

    (I think that after eating all that in a single day, I'd be more than ready for the sweet release of death...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lolol lets hope i die in the fall :)

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin