October 26, 2009

Hobo Dessert: Baked Apples in a Can



Remember last Friday's Hobo Meal in a Can?  Alongside that one, I also made myself a little dessert to go along with the hobo theme.  I made an apple dessert that cooks right in a can.  Here's what I did.

Ingredients:
-1 apple, sliced thin
-1 tbsp brown sugar
-1 tsp flour
-1 tbsp butter or margarine
-1/2 lemon to squeeze
-2-3 tbsp golden raisins

1.  First, slice up the apples real thin.





2.  Mix brown sugar, flour, and butter.



3.  In a can (16 oz), alternate layers of apple and the sugar mixture.







4.  When finished, squeeze the juice of half a lemon on top.



5.  Finish off with a sprinkle of golden raisins.



Notice how these golden raisins keep popping up in my recent recipes?  That is because I improvise recipes using stuff I already have (=save money).  No need to go out and specifically buy all new ingredients for things like this.



When done, cover the top with foil



Bake 375F for 35 minutes or until apples are tender.



You can eat this plain like this...



Or you can use this as a topping for french vanilla ice cream, shortcakes, angel food cakes, or even oatmeal.

Yum, how's that for hobo dessert?  :)

For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

2 comments:

  1. the meal/dessert in a can idea is such a great one for leftovers or when you just have odds & ends that need to be eaten! and it's probably pretty close to just one serving size for a meal! you're brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it, and I hope there will be more "hobo meals" in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin