October 07, 2009

Indian Rice with Golden Raisins



This is a recipe that my dear friend and fabulous baker Heath left on the comments for my Stuffed Peppers recipe.  He said that this would also make a great stuffing for peppers.  Awesome!  I was excited to try it because it looked easy, and really, any recipe that incorporates Garam Masala is A-OK by me :)  Heath didn't have measurements for any of the ingredients, so i just kinda figured it out on my own.  Here is my approximation!

Ingredients (3 servings):
-about 2.5 cups cooked rice
-1/4 cup slivered almonds
-1/2 onion, chopped
-1/2 cup golden raisins
-1 tbsp garam masala
-1 tsp turmeric
-1 tsp salt (optional)
-3 green peppers

1.  First, brown your onions in a medium pan with a teeny bit of oil.

2.  Add slivered almonds until lightly toasted.





3.  Add golden raisins until they start to plump.  This was my first experience with golden raisins.  They probably taste the same, but they made me happier than purple raisins.



Because they are golden like sunshine.





4.  Now lower heat and add garam masala...



And the turmeric, which adds a beautiful yellow color to the dish.




5.  Mix it all together, remove from heat.  Add to rice. 




You can't possibly know how wonderful this smells.  Toasted almonds on top of it all, you know?





Okay, so you here's where you get to CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE.   You can stop here and just have awesome rice, or you can take it one step further :)

6.  Cut the tops of 3 green peppers.



7.  Fill the peppers with the rice, and bake in square baking dish for 30 minutes at 375F.



And here it is!



Are these beautiful or what?



Oh my gosh.  The deep, rich flavor of the spicy rice, speckled with sweet, plump golden raisins and nutty toasted almonds...



Open wide!



Not you, silly.



This is all for me.  I'm so glad i'm not a pup.




For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin