October 12, 2009

Soy Sauce Bibimbop

This is one of the first full meals i ever learned to make on my own. While other 7-year-olds learned how to make their own PB&J sandwiches when they got hungry, i was taught how to make a very simple Bibimbop.


Bibimbop, literally meaning "mixed rice", is usually a hodge-podge meal that has a bunch of leftover banchans (side dishes) thrown in and mixed with rice. It has been popularized in modern culture, so it's no longer eaten for that purpose (it can actually get quite fancy), but that is the background.

Now, the variation of bibimbop i'm gonna show you is a bit different than the ones you're probably used to. It doesn't have a lot of stuff in it, it's just an alternative to eating plain old rice.

Ingredients:
1 bowl cooked rice
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 fried egg

1.  Take a bowl of rice.


And drizzle sesame oil over the rice.


It is not a sin if you go over 2 tsps. :)


2.  Add sesame seeds.  My mommy toasted these for me and put them in a little container for me to take back to grad school with me.  I love my mommy.


3.  Add soy sauce and mix.



4.  It's not over yet!  Fry an egg however you like, then top the rice with it.


I like mine over easy so the yolk is runny.


Oh yes, here we go.


But if you don't like runny yolk, you can just fry the egg however you'd like.

Serve it right away for delicious results! 


Mmmmmm....the taste of childhood....  It's so delicious and so simple, you know?  I'd take this over a PB&J any day.  Any.  Day.

For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, this one looks really easy. I'll try it some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... it's like my Egg and Soldiers meal as a kid :) LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks delicious!! thanks, sun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I just ate this last night :) It also tastes really good with 김 and
    김치!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin