October 15, 2009

My Favorite Snack

This is not a recipe.

This is a gross out tactic.

Just kidding.

One of my favorite snacks in the whole world is dried squid.  Yep.  This guy.


These were sent back with me when i went to Korea last December, and because they're dried, they pretty much keep forever.


What they do is, they take a squid, and cut it down the middle and kinda unroll it lengthwise.  Then they lay it flat and dry it.  The stick in the middle is to keep it from rolling back to its original shape.


Scared yet?  Still reading?  Asians still with me, right?

Okay, so once in a while, i eat half a dried squid as a snack.  They're super low in calorie, but has all the goodness that seafood tends to have.  Here I am cutting the squid in half.


Tada!


And then I hold it with some tongs and roast it over the stove.


Soon it will start to sizzle and pop.


The tentacular legs start curling wildly.


An irresistable aroma fills the air.


And little scorch marks appear on the skin.  Just don't let the squid touch the burner.


Once it's cooked through (takes about 3 minutes)...


I take some scissors and cut it across.


Yum, lookie my snack!


If you are a calamari eater........this is nothing like calamari.  Sorry.



Haha, if you're grossed out by this, you will probably have some sort of stroke if i were to show you what bbundaegi is.  :)

But seriously, it looks unusual, but it's one of the most tasty snacks ever.  If you love seafood, you would really love this.  Each of the pieces are tough and it makes you kinda have to work for it.  They pair really well with a nice light beer, like a pilsner.

Point is, you have this one lifetime.  Try being a little riskier with food.  Try things you wouldn't have tried 5 years ago.  Order something completely new at a restaurant, or better yet, instead of going to the same old restaurants, try some of the ethnic food restaurants and see what you find.  Expand your horizons, there's so much good food out there :)

Stay Tuned!  Tomorrow, Sunny-side Up Recipes will feature an exclusive guest interview about healthy eating and nutrition!

9 comments:

  1. I'm going to pitch this to Metta as squid jerky, and see if she goes for it. Can you just get that at Korean grocery stores, or what? I gotta see if they have it in GR.

    Do you ever put any kind of sauce or dip on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked up bbundaegi...yep... this snack is nothing compared to that on Lindsey's 'grossout-o-meter'... it's actually kind of made me think that if we hung out ever and you made your squid-snack.. I'd try it... because I could just tell myself it's not as bad as bbundaegi... lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dustin, i think you can buy it at a local Korean grocery store...i'm sure you can find it somewhere. Otherwise, you can get it for SURE in Chicago.

    Linz, hahaha i think you'd actually like the squid. The bbundaegi...only people who ate it as a child can stomach it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visible tentacles and suction cups should never go in ones mouth...o.k... maybe I should expand my horizons but can't we just dip it in batter, deep fry it and call it a day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm... delicious squid.
    Bbundaegi, on the other hand, I did not enjoy when I tried it. Is it always boiled/steamed? I might have liked it more if it had some crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oohhh, this looks good. I've always been curious to try it... and *high-five* to your food-experimentation plea! I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! looks so crazy, esp when you said the legs curl up when you cook it :O i am curious though, and your doggie looks like he approves lololol

    Naimah
    CoolBlackChef.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. sun, i just visited your blog and then clicked the korean food photo in the upper left. EEEK i don't think i could ever eat bbundaegi.

    also, i've never had an entire dried squid like that! only the shredded kind.

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin