October 13, 2009

Ginger Pumpkin Soup

It's October, and what better way to celebrate this month than to bring a cute little pumpkin into your home?


Pie pumpkins are cropping up everywhere these days, and I thought it was time I do something other than carve [albeit awesome] faces onto pumpkins.


Ingredients (6 servings):
-1 small pie pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and chopped
-3.5 cups chicken broth
-1 cup onion, chopped
-1 tsp garlic, minced
-1 tbsp ginger, grated
-1/2 tsp cloves powder
-S&P

1.  First, I washed and de-stemed the pumpkin like I would for a jack-o-lantern.



My favorite part: the sound it makes as the top comes off.

 
It's such a satisfying little pop.


Okay, that part is done.


2.  Cut it in half, then spoon out the innards.


Pretty pumpkin!



All clean!


3.  Cut into smaller segments still, and cut off the peel.



I like to kinda do a saw motion as a run it along the inside of the peel.  Eh.  It's more like a rind than a peel.


4.  Chop the "meat" of the pumpkin into small cubes.



5.  Put pumpkin into slow cooker.


6.  Add the onion...


The grated ginger...



The broth and garlic...


And of course the cloves powder.


7.  Turn on high for 5 hours.


8.  Remove from heat.  Spoon the softened soup into a blender or food processor (you might need to do this in 2 parts).


 

9.  Blend until smooth.  Season with S&P to taste.



YUMMY!  The soup is so great!  The spicy ginger with the creamy pumpkin is just fantastic!  It's definitely a new kind of soup for me, but i thought it was delicious!


I especially liked it steaming hot, so when i went to serve it to my friends later that night, i put it back in the slow cooker on low.

Mmm.  Hot steaming bowl of ginger pumpkin soup.


I'm so glad i live somewhere where it gets cold enough in October to fully enjoy something like this :)



------------------------
Also, a quick shout-out to my dear friends Steve and Chris, and my brother Jason for posting the link to this blog on their facebook walls.  Also thanks to Ronnie and Tree for posting on their gchat statuses!  I had an all-time high of 342 hits on my blog yesterday just from five friends spreading the word.  If you like my blog and wanna help me promote this blog, please consider posting it on your wall or emailing the link to other food-lovers. 

And to all the new readers to my blog, WELCOME!!!  I am so glad you stopped by and please stop by again soon!! :D

------------------------
For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

2 comments:

  1. wow this looks sooo yummy! id never think of combining pumpkin and chicken and onion and ginger! but it sounds good, I'll have to tell my friend how to do this after haloween. :oP

    Naimah

    CoolBlackChef.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Naimah! Yeah, i know, i never would have put those ingredients together...i always think of pumpkin as a sweet food, you know? but this was really great, and it makes a ton, so it's great for parties!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin