August 20, 2009

Mediterranean Sandwiches


These pita sandwiches are so easy to make, and they are absolutely delicious. Take it from a girl who went to college on money from sandwich-making, okay? :) Never mind if you don't get it.

These are great because they are vegetarian (what?!) but they are super filling. And with the cool cucumbers, zingy yogurt, and mealy artichokes, it makes for a perfect lunch for a hot, summer day.

Ingredients (for 1 serving, cuz i cook for one):

-1/4 cup plain fat free yogurt
-1 tsp lemon juice
-1 clove of garlic, minced
-1/4 cup chopped cucumbers
-1/4 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
-1/4 cup baby artichokes, drained and rinsed
-1 roma tomato
-1/2 tsp salt
-generous shake of black pepper
-onion powder (optional)
-1 whole wheat pita, lighted toasted

1. Mix yogurt, garlic, lemon juice in a small bowl.



2. Put your chopped cucumbers, chickpeas, tomato, and artichoke in a different bowl. For artichoke, i just bought one of these cans.


They look a little pale, but they're still quite delicious.


Chop em up!


Tada! Pretty mix of healthy friends in a bowl.


3. Now, add the yogurt mixture into the bowl with the healthy friends.


4. Mix and stir, then add the salt and pepper and onion powder, if you so choose.


5. Stuff them into halved pitas (slightly toasted), and you have yourself a fabulous and filling meal for just under 300 calories! And it took me like 10 minutes, even while i was taking breaks to take these photos for you.


It was sooooo scrumptious and so light that it doesn't undo your gym time. And the fiber from all the veggies, chickpeas, and the pita itself is gonna keep you full for a while. And if you have any left over salad like i did, you can save it and eat it with crackers midday.


Enjoy! Stop back again soon!

4 comments:

  1. Sunny, this is so fun! I'm gonna start planning my meals around your blog. MISS YOU!!! :)

    ~Ashley Talsma

    ReplyDelete
  2. ashleyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!! i miss you so so much!! thanks for visiting my blog, it makes me so happy! i hope grad school is going well for you :) hope to see you at a (g) concert one of these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just want to let you know that I recently made these sandwiches a part of my life. I tutor 2 nights a week from 5-7:30 which is right during my prime evening eating time. I eat before I go b/c I know I'll get hungry, but then I'm hungry again when I get back. These sandwiches are perfect because I can have one when I come home and not feel like I'm having two full dinners that day. Plus it's really quick. Thanks!

    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  4. yayyyy Carly, i'm so glad you like the recipe!! :D and it makes me so happy that it's become part of your life! Other grad students like you are my prime audience, so i'm extra-excited to hear that other busy ph.d. student are making use of these recipes. hooray, you totally made my day! :D

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin