August 25, 2009

Chicken Tikka Masala


One of my favorite things to eat at Indian restaurants is Chicken Tikka Masala. It is chicken marinated in yogurt, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, and a generous portion of Garam Masala (hence the "Masala" in the name). Thanks to my roommate, who introduced me to the world of South Asian cooking, I can enjoy this amazing dish in the comfort of my own home.

Ingredients:
3/4 lb lean chicken breast
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
juice from half a lemon
2-3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp ginger, minced (1 tsp, if using powder)
1 heaping spoonful of Garam Masala
salt and pepper

1/2 large onion, ringed (optional)
1/2 large bell pepper, chopped (optional)

1. Make sure you're working with unfrozen, thawed chicken. i just bought this, so i am golden. I used about half this package.


Slice your chicken breasts (or, as a certain friend of mine would say, "chicken boobies") lengthwise so they're more the size of tenders. Lay out in a square baking pan.


2. In separate bowl, mix yogurt, and lemon juice. Press in the garlic, then grate your ginger.


I usually buy a root, then peel with with a potato peeler, then save the rest in the freezer. Next time you need it, you can just take it out and grate it into your recipes.


3. Now add that heaping spoonful of Garam Masala we talked about:


Add some salt and pepper. Mix, and you get something that looks like this:


3. Pour mixture onto the chicken.



4. If you want--and i'd highly recommend it--add chopped onions and peppers to the dish and mix it all up with the marinade.



5. Let sit for about 30 minutes. Take a break.


6. Preheat oven to 375F. Cook chicken for 30 minutes or until meat is tender and white.

Omg here it is in the oven. You have no idea how fantastic it smells...mmmm.



Let's take one of the chicken pieces out and cut into it.


Oh yes.


Serve this baby over a bed of rice, drizzle some of the sauce onto it. It is so tender and moist from being cooked in yogurt, and deliciously spicy and aromatic from being infused with that Garam Masala.


Trust me. I'm eating this right now as i'm writing, and it is TO DIE FOR. oh man chicken never tasted so good.

Tip: if you are kind of a spicy food pansy (admit it), you can cut the Garam Masala and ginger by half, and add a little more yogurt.

To find Garam Masala: Your local Indian/South Asian grocery store would definitely have it. You might also find it in your regular grocery store's spice aisle, but it will cost you more.

6 comments:

  1. I just ate dinner and now I'm hungry again and my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'm always looking for great recipes! And is that an Alaskan? Your dog?

    www.saucydish.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. the Provident Woman:
    thanks!! haha you can always make it after dinner and keep it for later :) course, i usually end up eating some as soon as it comes out of the oven. i'm bad like that.

    Saucydish:
    I'm glad you like it! He's an American Eskimo :) He always looks about that thrilled while i'm cooking away in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do about the same thing but I use curry powder and add pineapple. Oh, I'm hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just prepared this for dinner and it was delicious. I love the lemon n yogurt base to the marinade and now I'm inspired to use that as the basis for some other marinades, like a dill and lamb and tomato kind of thing... This was a great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy:
    ooh, pineapple? i'll have to try that! thanks for the tip!

    Sarah:
    oh i'm so glad you liked the recipe and it worked out for you! yeah, using yogurt as a marinade base is becoming one of my staples...keeps the meat super moist and helps preserve the flavor :) come back again soon!!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin