August 24, 2009

Cheesecake-stuffed Cupcakes with Marshmallow Fondant


After that baking experiment a few weeks ago, I learned that, while marshmallow cream is an interesting filler for a cupcake, it's also 1) way too sweet and 2) not great to work with. My dear friend Lauren from high school suggested using pudding to fill cupcakes. AH! To make this a better process for all involved, i purchased this new tip, which is used for injecting delicious things into cupcakes.


And also, now that i know how to make fondant, i decided it would be worth trying it out on a small, cupcakey scale.

First, I baked me some yellow cake cupcakes in silver lining.


Then, after it cooled, i mixed up some cheesecake-flavored pudding.


After it solidified a bit, i put some into my piping bag.


I jabbed the cupcakes on a perpendicular angle and filled them with the pudding.


Note: i should have let the pudding solidify for longer than 5 minutes, possibly even leaving it in the fridge for an hour. But now i know. And now you know.


All done!


Then, after i let them sit for a few hours, i prepared my fondant. First, i melted the mini marshmallows.



Then added copious amounts of powdered sugar.


In order to keep your hands from sticking, you use tons of Crisco all over. Especially on your countertop where you will knead the fondant.


Once I was done kneading it to get the perfect consistency, i added food coloring, rolled it out, and punched circles in it using a cup. Then the magic happens....

You ice the cupcake.


Then you carefully...


lay the fondant right on top....


and tuck in the sides a bit. tada!



I also punched some little circles with the base of one of my piping tips, and voila! I get polka dot cupcakes!


These cheesecake pudding in the middle makes them super moist in the middle, and the marshmallow fondant adds a cute, playful touch.


Aren't they adorable?


Special thanks to Kata and Corrie for the fondant lesson, Lauren for the pudding idea, and PLA for eating them and liking them :)

3 comments:

  1. I always wanted to try fondant.. I may do that today or tomorrow..I'm a bit scared cause I can't bake, ice cookies to save me.. But I willbe brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! be brave, Cathy! it is actually as easy as playing with play-doh :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's the recipe you're using? Like, how much of everything are you using?

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin