August 26, 2009

Lemon Blueberry Muffins



Scrumptious and healthy breakfast muffins for 130 calories? Yessir. And it's also a good size for a midday snack.


I found a variation of this in one of my cookbooks, and I decided to tweak the recipe a bit. I used plain nonfat yogurt, cuz apparently everything i cook these days has yogurt in it.

Ingredients:
Group A:
-1 cup flour
-1 cup oats (not the "quick" kind)
-1/4 cup brown sugar
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp nutmeg
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt

Group B:
-2 egg whites
-1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
-1 tbsp vegetable oil
-1 tbsp lemon juice
-1 tsp lemon zest

(1 cup blueberries)

Group C:
-2 tsp sugar
-1 tsp cinnamon

1. Combine ingredients from Group A into a large mixing bowl.


2. In another bowl, mix the ingredients of Group B.

3. Add B to A. Mix lightly, don't over-mix it.


4. Add blueberries! Fold in gently.


5. Preheat oven to 400F. Spoon in the mixture into 12 muffin cups.




6. Mix the ingredients in Group D (sugar and cinnamon).


Sprinkle a little bit of the mixture on top of each little muffin.


7. Bake for 20 minutes or until inserted chopstick comes out clean.


These are delicious, super healthy muffins. I mean, how often do you find muffins for less than like 300 calories? These are low in fat, low cholesterol, low sugar, and packed with fiber from the oatmeal and antioxidants from the bluebs.


Mmm, look at that. And i LOVE that they're not too sweet. And the yogurt and lemon gives it that kinda tartness in the background for a clean flavor.


Oh my, look at this!



The blueberries burst inside the muffin when they get hot, and the sweet juices seep into the rest of the muffin.



Please try it tonight! You can freeze them and microwave them for breakfast for the whole rest of the week. Paired with coffee, it will send you to the moon and back. :) Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I am literally drooling all over myself. This totally beats the Betty Crocker blueberry muffin mix I used this morning ... I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!! yes, this is a much healthier (and not that much harder) recipe than the premixed stuff. tell me how it turns out!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lalala, lemon zest! Which already makes this recipe my favourite:) And it sounds very healthy indeed. And easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe i LOVE lemon zesting all of my food :D

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin