September 27, 2009

Sunday Story: Portion Control

Several years ago, i decided that i needed a change in my life.  i was a young, successful graduate of a dual degree, an intelligent and productive member of society, and well-respected by my colleagues.  I had everything going for me.  Except...i had really crappy eating habits.  Not that i ate unhealthy food all the time.  It was just that i ate too much of it and didn't exercise.  With a BMI of >25, i was feeling gross and crappy a lot of the times.

Then i had an epiphany.  I am so anal-retentive about my studies and my work.  My organization skills are meticulous in my professional life...why can't i just apply those tendencies to my health?

So i did.

The key?  Portion control.  I started counting calories for everything i ate.  Eating 1400 calories a day (this was all calculated based on my height, age, frame, etc. from a page out of a health magazine that Tree gave me) was the only criteria at first.  I could eat anything i wanted, just limited to 1400 calories a day.  But that isn't easy when you spend 800 of it on a sandwich at the local deli.  That's when I really started making my own food instead of going out to eat.  I started realizing that when you only have 1400 calories to eat every day, you have to learn to spend it wisely--foods that keep you full for lower calories.  I started eating foods packed with fiber and protein, and cutting down on foods high in fat, sugar, and sodium.  I started eating TONS of vegetables because they have a lot of volume for fewer cals.  I kept meticulous record of everything i ate each day with the caloric value next to each item.  (i still do this every day)

I also started exercising regularly at the gym.  This is a whole 50% of the equation, so it's not to be ignored.

I started this "sunny diet" in March 2006.  By September that year, i had lost 20 lbs.  All of this was completely self-motivated.  No need for a diet program, meal substitute gimmicks, weight-loss pill, or support group.  Just me and my stubborn self.  Got my BMI down to a lovely healthy range, built some muscles, threw out my wardrobe and bought new clothes 4 sizes smaller.  Still there three years later.  I love my new lifestyle.

The point of this?  I used to be a person of slob-like tendencies.  I used to think, ughhhh i just don't have the [insert excuse: some suggestions include time, genes, motivation] to lose weight.  My weakness was knowing how to limit portions, but through counting calories, i learned to control those portions but still eat whatever i want (just in small doses).  That way, i'm not depriving myself.  It was one of the most empowering experiences of my life.

Some suggestions I have for portion control:
-keep a food scale in your kitchen and actually measure stuff, even pretzels and cereal
-keep a calculator in your kitchen
-don't go out to eat as much.  cook at home!!  i know a great website that has a lot of low-cal recipes :)  oh shameless.

1 comment:

  1. i really admire your choice! but dont know if i could do portion control! i dont have the discipline for it, to be honest. i just try to eat healthy foods and eat as much as i want of healthy foods. but i guess thats the same thing in the end ???! Naimah

    CoolBlackChef.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin