September 03, 2009

Six Grain Rice


Starring...

Jasmine Rice


Wild Rice


Brown Rice


Masoor Lentils


Green Split Peas


Barley


When I was in San Francisco recently, Sidney had this awesome multigrain rice that tasted fabulous! I wanted to find something like that here, but...well...it's Indiana.  And I am poor.  So i had to kinda come up with my own mix.

I happen to have a lot of different kinds of rice/grains in my pantry. Normally, i just eat them separately, but I thought about how yummy they'd be all mixed together. So i did!


I soaked them all day long in the rice maker...


Then when i came home for dinner, I just plugged in the maker and pressed "cook". Within 30 minutes, i got this wonderful, six-grain rice that has kept me full all night. I even skipped my post dinner snack and my...other post dinner snack. (don't judge) (I eat 100 calorie snacks throughout the day, okay?)

Not only did i enjoy a hearty meal of good carbohydrates (yes, it's okay to eat carbs sometimes), but i also topped it with some of that Chicken Tikka Masala I made the other night.


Mmm.  Perfection.


So instead of eating them separately, I filled a canister with the premixed six-grain rice that I'm just gonna use from now on. 


Question for you:
What is your favorite kind of healthy grain? (i ask because i'd like to expand my horizons)

7 comments:

  1. oooh, what a good post, love how you've mixed lentils in. looks pretty easy to do as well. i want to try and make quinoa, but who knows how to do that... i dont! good job. Naimah

    CoolBlackChef.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Naimah, thanks for visiting my blog!! I have to admit, i totally had to go wikipedia "quinoa" cuz i didn't know what it was. Apparently there's a whole site on it:

    http://www.quinoa-recipes.com/

    Exciting! maybe i'll work on finding myself some. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Fly birds...pick through the ashes... pick and peck but swiftly sift through the ashes...into the pot!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some great food ideas. I will have to make some of these for the family. The girls love rice with cheese. I may try the lentil, rice, cheese mix and maybe through in some Flax seed. I through in protein, flax and fiber whenever possible..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Cathy!! i love the flax seed idea, i'll have to try to find some whole (I only seem to be able to find the milled kind)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sunny. I'm just seeing your blog for the first time (a la Steve's referral) and I absolutely love it!!

    My favorite healthy grain is quinoa. It's pretty wonderful because it actually provides a complete protein.

    I like to make it in a kind of stew with lentils, mushrooms, tomatoes, greens, etc. (modified from this recipe I found: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-Chard-Pilaf/Detail.aspx).

    -Tammy-

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin