September 18, 2009

Boiled Beef





This is a very easy Korean banchan (side dish) that you can make with zero talent and very little time. This is kinda embarrassing to even post as a "recipe" because it is just too easy.  So it'll be more of a descriptive thing.

My mom made this by putting some chunks of beef in water and bring it to boil.  Once the meat has boiled and is tender, she cut it into slices against the grain.




Yum.  I kept eating them while standing next to her.  She never yells at me for that.  I'd be pissed off if my kid kept eating my neatly sliced pieces of meat as soon as they were sliced.  No, she freely encourages off-the-cutting board eating.


 

Yum, right?



Okay, so then she made this little sauce called cho ganjang (literally, vinegar soy sauce).  It's 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts soy sauce.



 

Don't you envy my life? :)

I love Korean food.

So does this guy.



But no matter how cute he tries to look, i never fall for it. 



My parents have a much harder time resisting that look.



Anyways, sorry, what was this post about again?  Oh yeah, beef.



Happy Friday, dearest readers!  Oh, and have i told you how much it means to me that so many people are reading this?  You guys are awesome :)

8 comments:

  1. Hey- i just wanted to say i stumbled across your blog and it looks great..love the photos and the recipes! my mom's korean too and i steal stuff when she's slicing food too, my favorite are the ends of kimbap rolls haha =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yay, thanks for stopping by! i LOVE eating the ends of kimbap rolls!!! my mom even puts them at the edge of the cutting board so i can get them with easy access. hahahhaa :) yay for korean moms :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaa, the dog is so funny!! I couldn't resist such a cute look :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmmm I must admit, I'm purposefully looking through your blog for fresh ideas for the week before I go grocery shopping, and this is now on the menu. Thank you for posting something simple--as a new mom, I don't always have time anymore for complex cooking, so having simple options is key. Plus, for those of us not grown up with Korean moms, it's a totally fresh idea! Thanks, Sun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay!! i'm glad you're getting into some Korean cuisine via this blog! let me know how you guys like it! It's especially yummy over a bed of rice. Good luck and thanks for the sweet comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS. Rice, check. Thanks. Any tips on what cut of beef to buy for this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. chuck is the best to use. it is too tough to east as steaks, but when it's stewed or boiled, it gives off the most fantastic flavor.

    also, a good thing to do is to skim the fat that boils to the top of the water with a ladle. My mom is so anal about doing that...we were raised eating super lean because of her cooking habits :)

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin