September 01, 2009

Pineapple Sunshine Muffins


This is the first muffin recipe that i have invented completely on my own. Well, i kinda used the Lemon Blueberry Muffin recipe as my base, then changed it up a lot. I am thrilled to say that it turned out super awesome. Replace "thrilled" with "relieved" to make that more accurate. Anyways.


Now that the school year is starting, i have to eat on the go a lot. I'm usually on campus when it's time for my afternoon snack (yes, i am in kindergarten), and it's really important to me that i have a healthy, filling snack midday to keep my energy and metabolism up. Hitting the vending machine or local snack shop is NOT an option. Who knows how many calories are in those things.

These muffins have everything that your mama would want you to be eating (e.g. oatmeal, flax seed, yogurt, pineapple), and the recipe literally calls for NO oil, NO butter, NO shortening. I calculated them to be 100.17 kcals a muffin. But let's say it's 100 calories, cuz you'll probably burn off 0.17 while going to the kitchen and reaching for a muffin.


But seriously, it tastes amazing. If you don't believe me, come see me, and i'll shove one of these muffins in your mouth so you can see for yourself.

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp flax seed
1 cup crushed pineapple (save 1/4 cup of that for top)
3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 egg
2 tbsp sugar

Before we start, let me introduce you to what is probably a new friend to you. It was a new friend to me. This is Flax Seed.


It's found in the flour/sugar aisle at the supermarket. You've probably heard of it, but not very many normal people (much less, grad students) use it in their cooking regularly. I had seen my roommate put some in her protein drinks, so i thought i'd try it out and incorporate it into my baking.


Turns out, flax seed is an oil replacer! You can replace 1 tbsp of oil with 3 tbsp flax seed. I am not that smart, i just read it on the box. It has these natural oils in it that makes it an oil replacement, and it also packs a crazy amount of fiber (stay fuller longer!).

Okay, shall we start?

1. Add dry ingredients to one bowl. This includes flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda, flax seed.


2. Add the wet ingredients in another bowl. This includes the crushed pineapple (save 1/4 cup of it!), yogurt, and egg.


This is the crushed pineapple i used.


I didn't drain it or anything, the liquid helps make the muffins moist. moist. moist. moist. (how i met your mother is a great show, you need to watch it).


3. Mix the two mixes together!

4. Preheat oven to 400F. Put mix into 12 muffin cups.


5. Top each one with that saved pineapple.



6. Bake for about 20 minutes or until center is not doughy.



Mmmm. Isn't this a nice 100 calorie snack?


The extra pineapple on top is definitely worth it. It's a little hint of citrusy sweetness that you get when you take the first bite. Here, i split one open to show you what the inside looks like.


It's not too sweet like those store-bought granola bars, and it's certainly better for you than those mini-muffins. And no preservatives. You can store these in individual bags and take them to go.


Whether it's a little pick-me-up after hitting the gym, after an unproductive meeting at work, or after syntax class has zapped your brain---this little guy can certainly give you the boost you need to survive the rest of your day.


Enjoy!!  And tell me what you think by writing in the comments (i LIVE off comments, i love every single one and i'll always write back)!

12 comments:

  1. looks yummy!!! i must try that when i have some time (which is never :P). and on a side note, i love love love HIMYM. what up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe thanks!! YES HIMYM is fantastic! the slap bet is epic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I've been 'stalking' your food blog for a while and I must say I love that you feature healthy recipes that are also affordable! Exactly what I'm trying to incorporate into my everyday diet. Thanks for all the yummy recipes and tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. stalk away, liz!! i love that the blog is helpful to other poor grad students trying desperately to keep a healthy lifestyle in this crazy life :) thanks for visiting (and commenting)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying these tomorrow.
    Oh and ps: have you ever heard of Mung Beans? They are used extensively in Indian cuisine and they are my new favorite thing EVER. They have 14g of fiber per serving!
    I soak them over night and then I combine them with equal parts white rice and cook for 20 minutes. The rice and beans together make a perfect protein. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES, of course! I actually have a recipe for them (also spelled "moong") that I haven't posted, but I should get on that! thanks for the reminder :D i LOVE how much fiber they have...it's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look awesome! I may just have to try those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for visiting, Booshy! i'm sure you'll love them, they're such great snacks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone needs an afternoon snack!

    Isn't it amazing when you combine ingredients and come up with something tasty all by yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAK, yes, it's pretty amazing, especially when it comes to baking. Like, for cooking, you throw stuff together and you kinda get something of acceptable usually. but baking can go so very wrong sometimes. hooray for successful creations!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi sunny! i came across your site looking for a ja ja mein recipe (one of my husbands favorite). my name is sunny and i'm korean too! already made a few of your ban chan recipes and looking forward to trying this muffin mix! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sunny, so good to meet you! Thanks so much for visiting the blog, come back again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin