September 14, 2009

Jam Thumbprint Cookies

 My absolute favorite cookie recipe in the entire world :)  I had to bring this to the forefront again because I just recently made it again for my little bro, and I now have photos to go along with the recipe.


This is not the prettiest cookie in the world.  It's ugly.  This is not the sort of cookie you bring to a potluck because no one will pay any attention to this unattractive cookie, and they'll move along to the pretty desserts.  Ugh, it's high school.


But my brother, who has been subjected to my cooking since he was born, appreciates these cookies.  They were the first cookies i ever made.  As a 4th grader,  was a big fan of the Boxcar Children Mysteries, and in one of the books, they had this recipe in the back.  And so that's when i really started baking cookies.  My loyal little brother ate them dutifully.  And he loves these cookies, which is why i decided to bring some to him when i went to go visit his dorm for the first time at Michigan.

Okay, shall we?

Ingredients:
-3/4 cup butter, softened (or, half stick of butter and 1-4oz container of applesauce)
-1 cup sugar
-1 egg
-3 cups flour
-jam

1. Mix butter and sugar.  I have become a better person (or a more guilt-ridden eater?) and I replaced a stick of butter for a little container of unsweetened applesauce instead.  So here's the butter and sugar.


And with the applesauce added in.




2. Add in the egg.


3. Add flour little by little.


4. The dough should be hard, but not crumbly. add a little water if it's too crumbly.

 

5. Cover and chill the dough for 1 hour.

6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Check out the awesomeness that is my mom's baking sheets.  My parents are in the food industry, and cookie manufacturers like Nestle and Otis S. send them free supplies, the least of which are cookie pans and lining paper.  We got these ages ago, and I absolutely love using them.  Cookies turn out perfectly.



7. Take a small portion of dough and roll it into a 1" ball.


8. Press your thumb into the middle, place it on a greased cookie sheet.




9. Add a small amount of jam to each thumbprint - don't put too much because it'll bubble over in the oven.



 

10.  Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cookie is light brown and jam is bubbly.  Here it is in the oven...


And here it is just out of the oven!


 Trust me.  I know it's kinda funny-looking, but these cookies make up for it in taste.


PLEAAAASE trust me.  I promise you won't be sorry.  These are so darn good and so addicting!  I took them to my brother, and he was so excited :D


Recipe from Boxcar Children Special #1, Mystery on the Ice

For a printable version of this recipe, please click here

3 comments:

  1. i've been hunting this recipe for a while. i gave away my copy of that book :)
    thanks for the repost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmm, i love those cookies!! i also like to add finely chopped pecans to the dough :D

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin