September 21, 2009

Jalapeno Mushroom Pasta Bake



Okay kids.  Okay.

This is one of those casseroles I make at the beginning of the week and eat all week long.  It is so darn healthy and low calorie (about 230 cals per serving).  YUM.  The only thing I didn't like about it was that it wasn't spicy enough.  The jalapeno peppers I used were WAY too mild.  Next time, I'm buying a different brand of jalapenos.



But mild pepper or not, the dish was faaaaantastic.  I love being able to make my own microwavable meals, it's so empowering.  Okay, here we go.

Ingredients (makes 5 servings):
6 oz whole wheat pasta
2 oz chicken
2 cups button mushrooms, chopped
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup jalapenos, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen snap peas

1.  Boil pasta.  I always use my food scale (which Drew got me a while ago.  i must be the only girl-power girl that enjoys getting kitchen gadgets as presents from her boyfriend).  But seriously, portion control is so important.  This makes it so easy.




Okay, so that's 3 servings of pasta (final dish serves 5).  So you eat fewer carbs this way.



2.  Season your chicken however you want.  I used S&P, onion powder, cumin, and paprika.

3.  Grill the chicken, preferably on a George Foreman so that it zaps the fat. 



Tear it up!



4.  Meanwhile, chop your mushrooms...





onions, and jalapeno peppers. 





5.  Pan fry the mushrooms and onions.



6.  In the bottom of a square baking dish, pour in the diced tomatoes.




Mmm, I love diced tomatoes.  They can be added to so many things...soup, casseroles, chili...I always try to keep a can or two of this stuff in my pantry at all times.



7.  Add the cooked pasta and mushrooms and onions.



8.  Add frozen peas and snap peas.  (Peas)^2.



Yeah, did my grocery shopping at Target this past week, haha.  Could you tell?



9.  Add chicken and mix it all up.



10.  Bake for 15 minutes on 375F.  It doesn't take that long cuz there's nothing to cook.  It's just about making the flavors blend together and defrosting the frozen veggies.



Deeeelicious!  The pasta is bouncy-springy-happy like a Tigger, and the veggies give a little snap(!), and the tomatoes flavor everything so you don't even need any seasoning.


But really, the mushrooms and jalapenos are the stars here.  The mushrooms give such a deep flavor, and the jalapenos counter that with their little spicy and briny kick.



YUM.  I looked forward to lunchtime every day while this dish lasted.  It's economical AND low calorie because you're stretching 1/2 a serving of chicken and 3 servings of pasta into 5 servings.  The rest are vegetables! 



Enjoy!

For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sunny!
    Jalapenos, hurrah! Last night, made this to pack for the week's lunch. As much as I wanted to dive into it last night after finishing, just had my first serving for "breakfast." Simply put, awesome! The simplicity drew me to the recipe. And simplicity paid off! Left it in the fridge for the flavors to elevate, and boy did it ever! I love your blog, so inspiring - your stories and the flavors you combine are so key but are not intimating and completely feasible. Love your Eggplant pasta casserole dish too, it's one my fav lunches! Thanks for keepin' it real :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much for your comment, totally makes me smile! You totally get exactly what I'm going for in this blog, and it really means a lot to hear your thoughts. Enjoy the recipe, thanks again so much :)

      Delete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin