January 14, 2010

Haiti

As you have heard, the small, poverty-stricken nation of Haiti suffered a massive earthquake on Tuesday.  I think it's really easy for those of us here with cushy lives to say, "oh, that's a shame!" then forget about it the next minute.  It's easy for it to feel too far away to be real.  It's easy for us to believe there's nothing we can really do that would be helpful.  And by "us", i mean "me".  I'll be the first to admit, a lot of times I kinda decide I'm too poor to be of much help to anyone, and that once i start making money, I'll start helping then.

At the same time, most of us wouldn't blink at buying a $3 latte, a $15 album of our favorite indie band, or even $30 worth of groceries for the week.  I definitely bought myself $15 worth of socks the other week.  Socks. 

Sick, huh?

Anyways, the message I'm trying to send (and tell myself) is quite simple.  Give up that $3 latte for today.  Give up buying that CD this time.  Ease up on the socks.  Due to modern technology, we can give support without even leaving our seats.  Even if it's just $5.  Just go to one of these websites below that are a) reputable, and b) allow for direct donations via credit card.

These are some links will open in a new window:
And here's a whole list of them, compiled by CNN:

It's not fair that we sit here trying to decide whether we want an extra shot in our grande macchiatos while people are suffering, severely injured, mourning the death of their beloved.  Please keep the people of Haiti in your thoughts and prayers, and consider giving something through one of the links above.  Have a blessed weekend, readers.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      Other posts you might like:

      Blog Widget by LinkWithin