January 06, 2010

Christmas Cookies

Drew's mama is quite the baker, and her Christmas cookies are respected, loved, and adored in the family.  I'm not much of a cookie baker (because I am not "from a cookie culture", according to Drew), but i know when i see an expert cookie baker in action.  When Jen asked if I would help make cookies one night in Philly, I rejoiced, got out my camera, and helped away!

The three cookies on the menu: Spumoni cookies, Cinnamon Pinwheel cookies, and Cream cheese cookies with jam filling.

These Spumoni cookies are great.  The green layer is pistachio, the white layer is sugar (?), and the pink layer is cherry.  Yum!



She has these already put together in layers, and then freezes them until they're ready to bake.  Cuts off the edges...



And then cuts them into bricks.



Next up are the Pinwheels!  Look how cute they are!



These bake into beautiful little poofs of red and white swirls.



One of these days, i'd love to learn how to make these from start to finish (hint hint) :)



Last but not least are the cream cheese cookies, which are just so darn addicting.  Jen makes the dough ahead of time, then rolls it out into maybe 1/8" sheets and punches out circles.



When finished, you put them on a cookie sheet.



Then make some more circles, this time with a small imprint on them.



Then you lay them on top of the plain circle.



It was my job to fill them with jam!



Pretty!

Thanks so much for letting me take pictures of your cookie-making process!


5 comments:

  1. hehe aren't they? i wish my cookies would turn out just as pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunny, thanks so much for all the kind words! And I would like nothing better than a full-on cookie baking day with you some holiday season soon - I think between the two of us we could produce some quite awesome products! I also enjoyed seeing the ravioli maker at work - I couldn't quite grasp the process from the written instructions, but, as always, your fabulous photography made it cystal clear. I

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay, i look forward to many happy holiday returns and chances to bake with you! we'll just have to keep drew from eating them all, a problem i seem to have then baking near him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SO want the spumoni cookie recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin