January 11, 2010

Cheese and Herb Ravioli

Check out this fun little gizmo I got for my birthday.



It's a ravioli maker that Drew's mom sent me!  It comes with this frame...



And a tray that presses the holes into the dough.



I have been waiting for an opportunity to make a giant batch of ravioli with this, and when I was snowbound last week, I decided to take advantage of the extra time at home by making these fun ravs.

I had made some shrimp ravioli back in the fall completely from scratch and without any sort of machine other than a pizza cutter and a rolling pin.  This proved to be delicious, but my ravioli turned out ginormous.  You eat three and you move up a dress size.  They were beastly.  Delicious but beastly.



The ravioli maker makes this process a lot easier.  I just decided to make the inside simple (just some seasoned ricotta) and focused on perfecting my technique.  And um, making them all uniform.  Haha.  Plus, making a bunch of ravs and storing them in the freezer means easy meals anytime I want them!



Ingredients (34 ravioli):
-2 cups flour
-2 whole eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
-a dash of salt
-1 tsp olive oil

Filling
-3/4 cup ricotta
-1 tbsp italian seasoning
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1 tsp salt 

1.  Make the dough by dropping your eggs into a "well" in the center of your flour mound.  People advise you do this on a surface, but i just make it in a big mixing bowl.  Less mess.



2.  So after kneading the dough, I came up with this ugly specimen.



Pasta dough is way uglier than bread dough.  But whatcha gonna do?

3.  I formed a brick with a fourth of the dough so that when i roll it out, it will maintain a rectagularish shape.




4.  Then i carefully rolled out the dough.  This is really the hardest part.  I look forward to when we register for our wedding and I finally get my Kitchen Aid with a pasta rolling extension :)  But for now, the rolling pin will do.  Here I made a piece just bigger than the 12X4 frame of the ravioli maker.



5.  And then i draped it across the frame.




6.  Then I pressed the tray into the frame.



Here it goes!



Aww look at the cute little cuppies!



7.  Next, I mixed up a batch of the filling.  I kept it real simple since this was really a test batch.



Then i filled each little cuppy with the ricotta mixture.  Yum!





8.  Then I rolled out another layer of dough and laid it on top.



Here we go!



And then you take a rolling pin to push the top dough into the frame.



Once you get the zigzag ridges peeking through, it's been sealed.  Nice!  No egg white brushing necessary!



I tore off the edges.



Then tapped them out of the frame and onto the counter.  Tada!




I did this a few more times and got about 34 ravioli (2 batches of 12, then 1 batch where i could only roll out the dough wide enough to cover 10 holes).  Eek, math!

When they were done, I laid them out on the counter to dry.  Then I froze them.



These are great cuz at anytime i can just boil them up and pour some sauce over them.

To cook them, I salted a pot of water and brought it to a boil.  I put the ravs in there to cook for about 7-9 minutes.  When you fish them out, they look like this!



How cute are they?  I poured my favorite spinach and parmesan sauce over it. 



Delicious!  And look how yummy they look on the inside!



What happiness!  I have a nice collection of these in my freezer now to get me through the week.  Thanks for such a fun and useful gift, Jen! :)

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Where does a person go about getting a tool like that though? I've been dying to make ravioli, and this would probably get me to actually do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shana! I would search the Williams Sonoma catalog for something like this. They have all kinds of i-never-would-have-thought-of-that inventions for cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I browsed around a bit online too, and found that there's about a million different kinds of these things! I will definitely be getting one, along with the 30 lbs that will come with all the ravioli I'm gonna make! :)

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin