January 13, 2010

Chocolate Almond Biscotti


 
This is one of my favorite recipes of all time.  As an avid coffee drinker (guilty!), i've tasted biscotti at various cafes, and i still think this recipe beats them all.  Plus, I die a little inside everytime I pay $2 for a little cookie stick at a fancy coffee shop.

This is a very easy recipe that I've been making for years, and I wanted to share the step-by-step procedure with you so you can enjoy them as well!

Ingredients (makes 40 biscotti):
-2 2/3 cup flour
-1/3 cup cocoa powder
-3 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp salt
-2 whole eggs, plus 2 egg whites
-1 cup sugar
-1/2 cup canola oil
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1 tbsp orange juice
-1 tbsp grated orange peel
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 cup chopped almonds
-1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1.  In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together your flour, baking powder, and salt.



2.  Add cocoa powder and whisk that around too.





3.  In another bowl that is a bit larger, cream the egg and sugar. 



Add orange juice, orange zest, oil, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.





4.  Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture little by little.  Mix with a whisk or wooden spoon.



5.  Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips.



6.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease a large cookie sheet, preferably one that has an edge.  Dump batter onto the sheet and spread out into a 1" thick lump.





7.  Bake for 25 minutes.  Mmm...it's like a giant cookie cake!



At this point, it should still be soft.  Cut it in half (longways) then cut into 1" sticks (shortways).



Turn them on their side, bake for 7 minutes, then turn them on their other side and bake for another 7 minutes.



8.  Remove from oven and cool.  And here's the result! 



Oh my.  These biscotti are so fantastic.  Really.  They are not too sweet, and with the nutty almonds and semisweet chocolate, they make a perfect pair to a mug of coffee in the morning.  And then there's this :)



I love dunking things into beverages, and this is definitely my favorite pairing in the whole world.  Oreos and milk?  PSH!



Look at the texture on that thing.  It's so perfect.  And you know what makes them taste even better?  Freezing them!  They taste amazing frozen.  Like the way Thin Mints taste ten times better when frozen.  It's just like that.



Make these for yourself or your coffee-loving friends today!

Cheers!

For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

7 comments:

  1. AHHHHH what a tasty-looking recipe, and... I WANT YOUR MUG. i was just eyeing it the other day, oddly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe i got the mug from drew's awesome australian cousins :) i like it cuz it has a thin edge = less coffee dribbles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sun, this looks great. One question: how much cocoa powder to use? You mention it in the directions but it's not listed in the ingredients section. Thanks! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! thanks for pointing that out. Fixing it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! These may appear in my kitchen this very night ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I didn't get to make these until tonight (01.24.10), but they are so so yummy. My whole house now smells amazing. Thank you thank you thank you. Btw, I used dark cocoa powder, and they are still fantastic.

    I was about halfway through making them and came down to the computer to look at one of your pictures to see if I was on target, when I got an email that my church is doing a last minute bake sale tomorrow morning for Haiti. I had just been thinking, wow, this is a lot of biscotti, I wonder who I can share it with. Perfect :) And on each one, I wrote out the ingredients list (required for allergies) and wrote "The full recipe (and other fabulous ones) can be found here: http://www.sunnysideupreciples.com/"

    Thanks again for the recipe--you're helping to send supplies to a missionary doctor in Haiti :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tree, that is so sweet! i'm so thrilled that the biscotti not only make the eaters happy, but also helped raise money for charity! What more could a food blogger want?!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin