March 28, 2010

Sunday Story: Mexican Pastries

That awesome weekend that i visited my friends in Chicago and ate at a Mexican taqueria, we also got a chance to visit one of the many local Mexican bakeries in the Roger's Park area. 

When you walk in, you get a tray and some tongs, and you fill your tray with whatever pastry you want, similarly to the way I've seen it done in Korean and Hong Kong bakeries.  Unfortunately for these, only some of them were labeled, half of which I could understand, and others were a big mystery.  But since they were each like $.50 or less, it isn't that much of a financial risk.

So here is our booty.  (har har)

A madeliene cookie sandwich filled with strawberry jam.


A bun that i thought was gonna be a pineapple bun like the ones i used to eat in Hong Kong.  It was not pineapple, but it was very good.


A pretty horrific pink cookie that was as sweet as Barbie and twice as nauseating.


A "cake pie"...flaky pie crust on the outside, cake on the inside.  This is not an official name, it was coined by my fellow pastry eaters.


A delightful, spicy pumpkin scone with chocolate on top.  Yum.  I think this was my favorite.  (Sorry about the blurry pic)


Another cake pie!


An angel wing pastry that had a lovely flaky texture.  I love these!


And of course, a lovely jelly roll sponge cake with a light coconut dusting on the outside.


We had a blast cutting each pastry into 4 slices and each person trying 8 different kinds of pastries.  This is why I love hanging out with these guys :) 

Really, if you live anywhere that has a Mexican bakery nearby, go try it out!  I know for a fact there are some right here in town where I live, so I'm gonna have to venture out there sometime.  I love trying new foods, it's what keeps me going sometimes :) 

1 comment:

  1. this looks delicious.. i'm much better at baking than actually cooking!

    Lola Re

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin