March 05, 2010

Chai Tea Cupcakes


Chai Tea is a spiced tea from India that has become super popular in coffee shops.  I like chai lattes because they remind me of the pumpkin spice latte (which owns my life) when it is not otherwise available.

I was intrigued by this recipe in my cupcake book because i like when people come up with cupcakes that taste like other things, or have unusual ingredients, like these rum cupcakes I made for a pirate party once.  Anyway, this recipe looked simple enough, and I just happened to have a little bag of chai tea mix in my pantry, so I made these for a game night last weekend.

Ingredients (12 cupcakes):
-2 cups self-rising flour
-1/4 tsp baking powder
-pinch of salt
-2 tbsp chai tea powder
-1/2 stick butter, softened
-3/4 cup sugar
-1 egg and 1 egg white
-2/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350.

1.  So here's my chai tea mix.


Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and chai tea powder together.


2.  In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar. 


Add egg and milk.


3.  Add the dry mix slowly to the wet mix.  Mm.  You'll wanna lick the spoon for sure on this one.  Salmonella be damned.


4.  Fill 12 lined cups with batter.  I like to use a big spoon to scoop the batter, then another spoon of the same size to slide the batter off the first spoon.


You can even top these with cinnamon and sugar before baking.

5.  Now bake these loves for about 20 minutes.  That's it!  How easy is that?

Here they are, fresh out of the oven!


I'm sure you could frost these with cream cheese frosting, but I liked them plain like this.  It takes on more of a muffin feel this way.


Oh my.  How pretty are you?


Okay, let me show you the inside.


Break it apart here.  Oh yes.


It was super fluffy, moist, and subtle in flavor.  These would work well for breakfast in the morning with some coffee.  Haha I pretty much say that about everything I bake.  Truth is, I will drink coffee with anything.

But back to the chai tea cupcake at hand.

These cupcakes are nice to serve at breakfast, a brunch, or a light dessert.  You could drive your senses WILD by drinking chai tea with it.  The world may just collapse in on itself, so watch it.


Have a wonderfultastic weekend!  You deserve it bigtime.

Love,
Sunny

For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

1 comment:

  1. I love the spices in chai tea. I bet these are delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin