March 12, 2010

Mexican Taqueria


When i was in Chicago a few weeks ago, my friends and I decided to have a late lunch at a Mexican taqueria.  Yup.  Three Americans and a Korean chick awkwardly walked into the supermercado on a late Saturday afternoon in hopes of getting some good, authentic Mexican grub.  We must have looked pretty silly, but we were so hungry, we didn't care.

I had eaten at a bunch of taquerias when I was in Mexico for a conference a few years ago, and the food was so tear-jerkingly amazing and delicious.  I had been missing those delicious yummies so much from when I was there, and I was thrilled to see some authentic taqueria action in Chicago.

I was the only one who knew some Spanish, so I was able to actually order in the target language.  Yay for a usable bachelor's degree!  But enough talk.  Here's what we all got.

Ronnie got some pork tacos.


Stu got this giant "torta", which can have a lot of translations...this turned out to a giant sandwich.  Mmm, with chorizo.


Drew got tacos with chicken and one with chorizo in it.  Mmm.


And i got a chicken burrito, which was better than anything Chipotle or Qdoba could ever dream up.  Sorry guys, that's just how it is.


The flavors just melt together in the most heavenly combination.  I also loved getting these limes and grilled peppers along with our meal.


So unbelievable.


I am so in love with Mexican food, it's not even remotely funny.  If you live in Chicago, you should go try out some of your local taquerias.  Don't be afraid to try new things, just because of a language barrier!  :)  So what if they laugh at your hilarious English retroflex 'r' as you try to say "burrito"?  It's all part of the experience.

Have a great weekend!  And good news for those of you who like Korean food--I'm heading home for a week, and I'm taking pictures and writing down Mom's recipes.  Get ready!

EDIT: A few of you asked where this place was.  I didn't say because there are so many taquerias all over the place, and i don't want you to think where I went is the only place to get this food.  The place we picked was in Roger's Park on Clark Street, north of Pratt.  There are dozens of taquerias on that street alone.  We went to one that was part of a large Mexican supermarket (it says "supermercado" on the front awning).  I think those ones tend to be more established, so that's what we chose.  

2 comments:

  1. Ooh that looks good! I'm headed to Chicago next weekend where was this place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're coming home?! I want to see you!!!!!!

    I'll take you to a really awesome Irish pub/restaurant. Seriously amazingly good food.

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin