December 14, 2009

Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cupcakes



The holidays are upon us!  You get invited to a lot of dinners and parties, and for those of us who are grad students, our classes and commitments are drawing to a temporary close for the holidays.  For my last day of teaching my class, I made my students a special treat based on a recipe I had invented over the summer. 

Re-enter: Hot Cocoa Cupcakes.  Recipe can be found here.



There are so many things you can do with this, just like there are a lot of ways to dress up hot chocolate.  For these cupcakes, I decided to give them a little holiday twist with--yes, that's right--candy canes!



So after I made the hot cocoa cupcakes, I frosted each one with generous helpings of whipped cream cheese frosting. 



How i love my little frosting knife!





Okay, so here's a done one.  The messier, the better.  It just looks more like whipped cream on top of hot cocoa, you know?





Then comes the holiday twist.



I did some therapeutic candy cane destruction by putting an unwrapped cane in a sealed sandwich bag...





then hitting it with the side of a rolling pin.  Then you get something like this.





Gather your festively decimated candy cane pieces into a little bowl and repeat the process.  For a dozen cupcakes, I used three candy canes.






Afterwards, you just sprinkle those right on top of the cupcakes.  Deeeeelicious!





And very festive and pretty, too!








See how easy and cheap it is to add a simple twist to your everyday cupcakes?  Try these cupcakes today, you'll love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin