February 22, 2012

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Herbs


My husband and I take part in a CSA (community supported agriculture), and we get fresh organic produce from our farmer in a giant box every week.  This week we got a little baggie of brussel sprouts.  I decided to roast them with delicious sun-dried tomatoes, which add amazing flavor and tang to any dish.  I kicked it up some more with a generous amount of herbs de provence, and thus this recipe was born.

Ingredients (2 servings):
10-15 brussel sprouts, halved
½ onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp herbs de provence
pinch of hot pepper flakes
4-5 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Here are some of my pretty sprouts.  Wash them good, and take them to the cutting board. 


  
Chop off the butt end and removing a few of the external leaves.


Then cut them in half.  They look like little baby heads of cabbage.


Throw them into a small-ish casserole dish.  


Mix the brussel sprouts with chopped onions, minced garlic, herbs de provence (italian seasoning would work fine here), and hot pepper flakes, if you feel so inclined.  I am always so inclined.


Then mix in your chopped sun-dried tomatoes.  I get the kind in a giant jar from Sam's Club, and then I just use some scissors to cut up pieces into dishes.  A little goes a long way, so just don't overdo it.  You still want the brussel sprouts to take center stage.  Drizzle with olive oil, then salt and pepper to taste. 


Bake at 400F for 40 minutes, or until sprouts are tender.  I used my convection toaster oven, so it took a little less time, but I think a standard oven should be able to do this in 40 minutes.  Here's the delicious dish that resulted!


Each sprout was deliciously tender, almost creamy in the middle.  The combination of herbs and the aromatics made the dish deeply rich in flavor, and the sun-dried tomatoes gave it a kick of tang that helps the flavors from getting too muddled.  It was so good, even my picky husband (whose palate is often like a 12-year-old's) liked it.  I would totally make this again, and I hope you'll give it a try too!

Pin It


For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

1 comment:

  1. Its Really Nice Recipes thank you for Sharing the information is very helpful for all

    php web development

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin