February 17, 2012

How to Prep Minced Garlic

I use a lot of garlic in my cooking.  I love the sweetness, the earthiness, the pungency, the sharpness, and everything else about it.  The downside is that, when I'm in a hurry, it's rather annoying to have to peel garlic.  I love the flat-knife-smash method to crush and peel garlic, but sometimes that takes forever, especially for the little baby-sized garlic cloves.  


My mom taught me this trick of prepping your own minced garlic ahead of time.  I find that the jars of minced garlic you get at the grocery store, which to me taste bad because they seem to add preservatives to make them stay good.  But my mom's way of freezing minced garlic preserves the taste perfectly, and it's easy to do. 

Peel a head of garlic.


Put them into your food processor, blender, herb mincer, or whatever you usually do to pulverize things.


Mince the garlic good.


Now, take a zippered baggie and use your favorite mug to kinda perch it on.  My mug was chosen completely arbitrarily.  La di dah...


Scrape your garlic into the baggie. 


Zip up the bag.


Then smush down the garlic flat.  I just use my hands and flatten it out evenly.


Stick it in the freezer!  Now you have a frozen stash of garlic that you can use anytime.  When you're ready to use it, just break off a slab of garlic and toss it into your soups, marinades, casseroles, etc. 


Super easy and saves tons of time!  Hope you enjoyed this little trick from my mom's kitchen.  Have a lovely day!

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Gasp! You have just changed my life. You and your mother are brilliant. I don't know how I missed this four years ago ...
    PS. I miss this blog :-)

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin