August 02, 2010

Jalapeno Burgers with Avocado Sauce


A few weeks ago, my family went on a camping trip.  We've been going on these trips for almost 20 years.  It used to be that my mom and dad would make all the meals, but this time, my parents were like, "Well, you're some sort of food blogger, right?  You can make lunch."

Sweet!  I decided to make some spicy burgers for my spice-lovin' family. 

Ingredients:
-1 lb ground beef
-1/2 cup bread crumbs
-1 egg
-2 tsp salt
-2 tsp pepper
-1/2 large onion, chopped
-1 jalapeno pepper

For the sauce:
-1 ripe avocado
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 jalapeno pepper

Other:
-whole wheat buns

1.  I got us some 90/10 lean ground beef.  Here it is on our lovely picnic table on our site.


I mixed the ground beef with bread crumbs in a small pot.  Haha. 


My brother was very helpful in photographing the process.


Adding some salt...


Here are the onions.  I had to cut them with a butter knife cuz I couldn't find our actual knife.  Whatevs.


2.  Okay, here is one of the jalapeno peppers I got.  I cut it in half and took out the seeds and veins.  I used these scissors to snip pieces into the pot.  Yum!  My family's gonna love this spice.


Then I added an egg to hold it all together.


Here comes the fun part.  Hand mix!!  50% of me enjoyed it, and 50% of me wished I had gloves. 


3.  Form into six patties 1/2" thick.


4.  Grill or pan fry the patties.  The pictures my brother took of this process were all blurry, so it's a no-go.

5.  In the meantime, I had my brother smash up an avocado.  He's a halfway decent sous chef.


6.  Cut up another jalapeno pepper and add to the avocado.  If I were Emeril, this would be something I'd consider as kicking it up another notch. 


7.  Yum!  This is the fun part.  Place burger on a bun...


Add some pepper jack cheese (in keeping with the theme, of course).


Top it off with a generous helping of the avocado sauce, and you got yourself an AMAZING burger. 


Really, it was super delicious.  It wasn't too spicy, but had just the right amount of kick.  It was tons of fun cooking outdoors using whatever I could find.  It was also nice having my brother's help in the photography and cooking.  Hooray for SSUR in the wild!

Have a great week!

For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin