November 25, 2009

Jello Cake aka Poke Cake



Over the summer, my friend Jen, another fellow grad student here, brought this amazing Jell-O cake to a potluck picnic.  It was so delicious and wonderful, I asked her for the recipe, and she graciously shared it with me.

I decided to make it for an early thanksgiving potluck last week.  That's where i learned that it can also be called a Poke Cake.  The wonderful thing about this is that it takes 3 main ingredients, and you can do it in small stages so that you don't have to spend hours in the kitchen.  You do one step, walk away for however long you want, do another step that night, and finish it off before you serve it.  So easy!

Ingredients:
-1 box white cake mix
-(whatever you need in order to bake the cake according to directions...usually a few eggs and a little oil)
-1 4oz box of any flavor Jell-O
-1 tub whipped cream

1.  First, bake the cake in a 13X9 pan.  I used a glass pan so you can see the pretty colors along the side.  Once cake is done, cool it for however long you want.  I just set it on the counter overnight.



2.  My favorite part.  Take a fork and poke the crap out of it.



Any recipe that allows me to stab something with a fork repetitively is okay by me.



Woohoo!



3.  Okay.  Prepare Jell-O mix just like it says in the package.  I used strawberry flavored, but any flavor works fine.  The red just shows up really nicely.



Once it's kinda cooled off, pour it over the cake.





On a similar note as before.  Any recipe that allows me to watch a liquid absorb into a solid is really okay by me. 



I think i made this cake just so i could poke and watch jello juice absorb.  Hm.  Selfish.

Er, anyways, here's the pretty pink cake :)



Cute.  This would work nicely for valentine's day.



4.  Leave cake in the fridge to set.

5.  Before you serve, spread whipped cream (i used fat free cool whip) on top.





DONE!



Yum!  What an easy and fun dessert to make!



Next time, I'll actually read the recipe and use a 4oz packet of Jello instead of the 6oz.  Haha I suck at following recipes.  Isn't it ironic.  [Cue mid-nineties song]



I was able to serve the leftovers the next day at my Settler's party, which made me doubly happy.



Mmm.



Thanks for the recipe, Jen! 



Have a great Thanksgiving, everybody!



For a printable version of this recipe, please click here

5 comments:

  1. i love this cake. i asked my mom to make it for every birthday :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean to say that you poke your cake full of ... holes? Muhahaha >:]

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHHHHHH. but but but...they don't stay holes, they kinda fill up with jello.


    oh no.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, saw you link on Pioneer Woman site and thought I pop over and see what kind of recipes you have. I noticed this cake and to click to see if it was the same as I make. in my neck of the woods we call it "rift cake" and don't ask me why rift cuz I forsurely don't know! lol
    anyway, I make a version of this cake all the time, you can actually experiment with different cakes too! also my frosting is different though because it's a mixture of vanilla pudding and cool whip. i also use the end of a wooden spoon for my holes to give it more marbeling.
    that being said this one is killer...chocolate cake with cherry jello and then the topping is a mix of choc pudding and cool whip.
    anyway, nice site...have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cami! I'm so glad you stopped by :) chocolate cake with cherry jello?! oh. my. gosh. that sounds absolutely fantastic!!! i am SO doing that next time i make poke cake!!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin