November 19, 2009

Baby Portabella & Mozzerella on Mini Toast



The reason I made these little hors d'oeuvres is for a very shallow reason.  It's not because i love fresh mozzarella so much, or because the taste of baby portabella mushrooms sauteed in wine makes me swoon. 

It's because I've always wanted to buy these cute little baby appetizer bread thingies.



I am a lover of all things little and petite.  And these tiny little bread slices just tickle me pink.  They're just so cute!!  You can eat three of them for 80 calories, hehe.  So cute.  Cocktail size bread. 

Anyways, the topping wasn't too bad either :)

Ingredients (15 appetizers):
-15 mini slices of pumpernickle bread
-3 oz fresh mozzarella
-7-8 baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
-a splash of red wine
-2 tsps italian seasoning
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp pepper

1.  Lay out 15 slices of mini bread slices on a baking sheet.

2.  Get yourself three balls of mozzarella, which is about 3 oz.  Mmm, isn't fresh mozz just amazing?



Cut 16 slices of fresh mozzarella.  Eat one.  Now you have 15.  Math is fun, stay in school.



3.  Enter Baby Portabella.



More cuteness!  Baby versions of those beefy and hearty mushrooms.  These have as much flavor as its grown-up version, but in a more tender form. 



After wiping the dirt and things off them with a wet paper towel, slice the baby portabella mushrooms like this. 



Bring a medium pan to high heat and give it a good hit with non-stick cooking spray.  Dump in the mushrooms and stir around.  Add salt and pepper.



4.  When mushrooms are almost done, give them a little splash of red wine.  I cheated and used a rosé, but whatever.  Let wine evaporate, then remove from heat.

5.  Top the bread slices with mozzarella cheese.



6.  Top that with sauteed mushrooms.



7.  Top that with italian seasoning. 



8.  Bake them in the oven for 15 minutes on 350F, or until mozzarella is nice and melted, and the bread is toasted.  Serve immediately!



Yum!  I served these at the craft night I threw over the weekend :)  They make a decently healthy snack that looks impressive but was secretly really easy to make!  That's the way to entertain, folks.

Have a great Thursday!

For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

5 comments:

  1. "Cut 16 slices of fresh mozzarella. Eat one. Now you have 15" hahaa :)
    I really really love this post! I'll save this to my Favs so I can try it some time for lunch or for an evening meal! Sounds wonderful, and I think rose wine is much better than red by the way! :) What does Italian seasoning include? Oregano, or what?..

    ReplyDelete
  2. math is fun stay in school.
    LOL
    Sunny, I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alina! The italian seasoning i get has oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, etc. If you don't have a pre-mixed italian seasoning, you can just use whatever dried herbs you have in your pantry.

    Jimbo, miss you too :)

    And thank you both for enjoying my humor...hahaha i love that people get me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaaa, thanks - I have rosemary, thyme, and basil at home, just need to buy some oregano! Ooh I can't wait to get back to my normal diet - nowadays I'm mostly eating yogurt and such things, so I can only watch others eat what I've cooked! :D But I really hope I can try this snack already this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunny, I'm going to make these today for my grandmother!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin