December 08, 2010

Spicy Cornbread Casserole

About a year ago, I participated in a recipe exchange that got me tons of yummy recipes from random strangers.  One such recipe was a Cornbread Casserole, which a woman named Jill sent to me.  I decided to make it for a potluck last week, and, because I am who I am, I spiced it up a bit with green chilies.  I would have added jalapenos, but I didn't want it to be too spicy for the, er....weaker crowd.  Just sayin'.  My level of spiciness doesn't seem to correspond to other people's level of spiciness.  That word looks strange.  Spicyness.  Spicy-ness.  Spicy Ness.  Whatever.

This is a truly easy recipe that took little time and little money :)  Try it out, it is a great dish!

Ingredients:
-1/3 cup sugar
-2 eggs
-1/2 cup oil
-1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
-1 8oz package of sour cream
-1 can corn kernels, whole
-1 can creamed corn
-1 small can green chilies (or chilis in adobo, mmm)

Preheat oven to 350F.  Mix sugar, eggs, and oil in large mixing bowl. 


Here we go!


Okay, now get your box of Jiffy corn muffin mix.  You might be jealous to know that I am personally friends with (as in, she's invited to my wedding) the heiress of Jiffy.


Here is the corn and green chilies.  The corn kernels add a bite to the cornbread, while the creamed corn helps maintain the richness of the casserole.


Creamed corn.


Whole kernel corn.


Now it's time to add the sour cream.

You might wonder how I'm able to hold a container with one hand, scoop out the sour cream with another hand, and also take the picture.  This is how.  I prop things in place to make it look like i have a mysterious third hand.


I think sour cream does such interesting things when used in baking.  I can't eat it straight, but I love what it does to the texture of foods like this. 


Now time to add the chilies.  The next time I make this, I will add chopped up chilies in adobo to make it even spicier.  This is good enough for now :)


There we go!


Pour batter into a 13x9 casserole dish...


And bake it for 45 minutes or until inserted chopstick comes out clean.


Tada!  It's a wonderful, cost-efficient dish that makes a very easy side for any meal.   Thanks, Jill, wherever you are, for such a yummy recipe! 

For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin