December 13, 2010

Drop Lace Cookies


This past weekend, I celebrated my 2#th birthday with some good friends of mine.  I decided to make these drop lace cookies as one of the desserts.  I found this recipe in my Real Simple magazine, and i thought it was so snowflake-like and lovely that I absolutely had to make it! 

Ingredients (24 cookies):
-1/2 stick butter
-1/4 cup white sugar
-1/4 cup light brown sugar
-2 tbsp heavy cream
-1/3 cup pecans, super chopped
-1/4 cup flour
-1 tsp kosher salt

1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Melt butter in small saucepan. 


2.  Add white and brown sugars and stir until dissolved. 


Bring to boil.  Add heavy cream.



3.  Remove from heat, then mix in pecans, flour, and salt.


4.  Spoon small spoonfuls (I used the 1/2 tbsp spoon) onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Using a Silpat works really nicely, I found.  I got one for my birthday, which was perfect timing :).  I did one batch on parchment paper, and another on the baking mat, and the baking mat totally won.

Oh, and by the way, the batter will melt and flatten in the oven, so space the balls of "dough" apart at least 4 inches.

5.  Bake 5 minutes, then rotate pan, and bake for another 4 minutes.  I was all frazzled so i forgot to take pictures of these particular intermediate steps.  So sorry :( 

6.  Remove from heat, and place cookie sheets on cooling racks.  Aren't they really neat looking?


It's like a baked caramel, almost.  The pecans add a nutty crunch that is quite delightful!


Once they cool a bit, they become hard and somewhat brittle.  You can pick it up.


Delicious!  They are really light, delicate, and looks like it was way harder to make than it actually was.  Try these for your next holiday party!  And thanks to Real Simple for such a delightful recipe :)



For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin