July 15, 2010

Wine Crackers aka Crookies

As you [may not] know, my friends and I enjoy taking trips every summer to go wine tasting along the western coast of Michigan.  At most of these wineries, they offer oyster crackers with the wine to cleanse your palate after each wine.  But some of the fancier wineries offer something a little more special. 


My friends and I call these "crookies" because they are kind of a cross between a cookie and a cracker.  They are slightly sweet and slightly salty, and they have a certain shadow of citrus but it's just barely there.  All in all, it's a fantastic little snack.  And when we found out that we could buy these to take home, we were in shock.


I hope he forgives me for posting that on here :)  We love crookies so much, we grabbed random people on the streets to share in the goodness.


Just kidding.  She's our friend we met up with for lunch.  I've known her longer than I've known my fiance.

Anyways, after coming home from our most recent winery tour, I decided I would try to make some myself.  Not because I want to replace crookies in our lives, but mostly to tide us over until the next season.  And because I like a challenge.

Here's my attempt.  Don't laugh.  I really wanted to do this.

Ingredients:
-1 cup flour
-1 tsp salt
-1 tbsp sugar
-1 tsp lemon zest
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1 tbsp water

1.  Mix flour, salt, and sugar.  So far so good.


Add lemon zest.  I did this to add a hint of that delicious citrusy something or other to the crookie.


2.  Add olive oil and water and mix with a spoon until you get a firm dough. 


I might have added a few more drops of water to get it to this consistency.  Err on the side of dry though.


3.  Dump the dough out onto a floured surface. 


Roll them out into ropes.


Cut into wedges with some kitchen shears.  Hehe.  Cute.


Cute cute cute. 


Okay, they are the right shape.  They are also the right taste.  Er...I mean, I didn't eat a wad of raw crookie dough.  CROOKIE DOUGH?  Haha, I crack myself up.


4.  Bake on greased or lined cookie sheet for 20 minutes on 350F, turning them over at the halfway point.


Halfway done...


All the way done!


I would say this is a decent success.  I think the taste was right on, but the texture was a bit harder than the real crookie.  It was a fun experiment!  I overcooked the first batch, but if you reduce the time to 20 minutes (as indicated for this recipe), it should be good.


Hehe, try it out!  And if you can improve upon this recipe to help with the texture, please leave comments!  I love inventing recipes, and co-inventing is even funner.  Yes, you can say "funner".  I'm a linguist, you can trust me.

Take care and have a great rest of your week!

For a printable version of this recipe, please click here

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if you could brush them with an egg wash to make them smooth and a little shinier on the outside... not sure if that is what you'd want, though, as I've never tasted these crookies =)

    SG

    ReplyDelete
  2. you got Stu to get his picture taken and posted on here? Wow.

    And I see the foo'!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting. You didn't say how you'd like to change the texture but I think trying ice-cold water and solid shortening rather than oil will do the trick--I know it's not as healthy (but how many are you going to eat, anyway?) The cold keeps the shortening solid until just the right moment and changes the texture. The more it is handled the tougher it will be. The egg wash would also crisp the outside but the initially wetting could make it toughen up as you sink your teeth into it. Better be some good wine to deserve this much effort....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm the Wineries Sales Manager for Panorama Foods, Inc. We own the OTC Wine Cracker line...aka Crookies, Love the comments and the pictures! We would like to use the photos on the Panoramafoods.com website as well as our OTC Wine Cracker Facebook Page. We would gladly send you a case of our OTC Wine Cracker Snack Packs for your enjoyment!
    You can email me at jan.siplon@panoramafoods.com with your shipping address and contact information. Thanks again for your great comments of this awesome little cracker.
    Jan Siplon

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin