June 25, 2010

Spotlight: My Favorite Mustard on My Favorite Sandwich


Every summer for the past 3 years, my friends and I take a winery tour up the west coast of Michigan.  We drink delicious wines made from the grapes grown on the rolling, sandy dunes, protected and aided by the beautiful Lake Michigan.  Being on Lake Michigan is really one of my most favorite places in all the world.

Anyway, one of the places we stay in along the way is Leland, which is a darling little town on Leelanau Peninsula.  In Leland, we often visit a little store that have all kinds of delicious spreads, marinades, BBQ sauces, and mustards.  We go and taste a dozen different ones with little crackers.  Last year, I picked up this amazing mustard, which apparently has won many awards in mustard contests. 


It's so interesting because it has an initial sweet, honey-like taste, but has an aftertaste that is as feisty as wasabi.  All year long, I've been carefully using it little by little so I won't run out.  But since I'm going up to Leland on my annual trip this weekend (!!!!), I decided to liberally slather it on my favorite sandwich.


I've always been a huge fan of sandwiches on bagels.  I think it's because I like that bagels have more of a chew to them than sandwich bread.  So here is my toasted, 100% whole wheat bagel.


I also love using spring mix salad greens for sandwiches because they are a little more bitter and have more character than plain old lettuce.


Alfalfa sprouts give amazing texture to sandwiches.  I fell in love with putting sprouts on sandwiches when I first tasted Einstein Bros Veg-out sandwich back in 11th grade. 


And of course, smoked turkey.  There's something so familiar and safe about turkey. 


When i was in Spain, my host mother made me bocadillo after bocadillo (sandwich) made of jamón (Spanish ham) or chorizo, but i started getting so sick of it after a while.  One day, for one of my excursions, she packed me a turkey sandwich, and I got so nostalgic and grateful that I cried secretly. 

Now, seven years later and that many years wiser, I would kill for a chorizo bocadillo.  

Anyways.

Add cucumbers and onions to the mix, and we got ourselves a delicious combination for our sandwich. 


Here we go, spreading the delicious, sweet-spicy-tangy-amazing mustard on both sides of the bagel (yup, i splurged bigtime). 




Layer everything evenly across the bagel, and voila!




A beautiful sandwich fit for royalty!




Now, if I had some avocado, i would have probably died, because avocado with turkey is the best thing in the entire world.  But this post is not about the turkey.  It's about the amazing mustard that has graced my life.  (Um, I swear I'm not advertising for them or anything) 




Even if you're not able to visit northern Michigan anytime soon, you can apparently order their products online.  Finding this out gave me great comfort.  I really don't know what I'd do without this in my fridge door. 


Okay, gotta run and head out on my vacation.  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin