May 04, 2009

Grub Plates

My favorite kind of meal is the Grub Plate. I googled it, and there doesn't seem to be any such term, at least, not in the way I mean it. This is highly disappointing.

A Grub Plate is when you have a spread of delicious finger foods, and you eat that as your meal. Almost always, you gotta have a meat (usually deli cold cuts), some cheese, some fruit, and some sort of bread. This is different from hors d'oeuvres because a Grub Plate is a MEAL. Get it? It's not just appetizers, it's the real deal. And it's not a picnic because you usually eat it in the comfort of your home, not outdoors. Please start using my new term.

Here are some memorable Grub Plates from the last few years or so.

Grub Plate #1: 503 Girls' Reunion 2008
hummus, pita, challah bread, grapes, strawberries, black forest ham, turkey, colby jack cheese, pepper jack cheese, sauteed chicken gizzard


Grub Plate #2: Winery Tour 2008
Pizza bread, raclette cheese, super crazy salty olives, pickled garlic, salami, strawberries, blackberries, grapes


Grub Plate #3: Beer Tour 2009
(all from Zingerman's) Manzanilla olives, sorpressata peppata salami, Spanish arbequina olives, bridgewater cheese, stichelton blue cheese, parmesan peppercorn bread, Irish soda bread, pears, blackberries


I...I...I just can't tell you the utter joy it brings me. Make your own grub plate today. Just...please. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin