August 08, 2011

Lemon Meringue Pie

 

This recipe is actually an oldie.  I baked this pie a few times when I was in high school, and it usually came out pretty well.  Which is why when I baked it a few weeks ago and I failed horribly at making the lemon part solidify, I was extremely embarrassed and ashamed.  My sweet husband ate the messy half-liquid pie anyway, but my failure made me more determined than ever to redeem myself.  I tried again the next day, and I got it just right.  So I thought I'd share this recipe and show you what the steps look like so you can learn from my mistakes (and I can remember what I did for the next time I make this pie).

Here are the ingredients!

1 baked 9-inch pie crust
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn starch
1 1/2 cup cold water
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
grated peel of 1 lemon
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp margarine
3 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar

Please do yourself a favor and pay attention to the part where it says to use a BAKED pie crust.  Don't be an idiot.  You can buy a crust pre-baked, or you can make one and bake it with some pie weights in it.  Just don't use unbaked crust.  
First, before you do anything else, deal with the lemon.  Zest the lemon clean, then squeeze it till you have 1/4 cup of juice.  You can just dump them all into one bowl.  Have this ready before you start the corn starch mixture.  (Or have your sous chef do this for you while you do something else)


You will also want to separate your 3 eggs at this time.  Put the egg whites into the bowl that you intend to whip them in.  This means there shouldn't be a trace of fat in it whatsoever.  Including any drips of yolk.  I would use your clean hands to separate the egg between your fingers. 

Now, in a small saucepan, add sugar and corn starch.  Pour in your cold water.  NOTE: No heat whatsoever at this point!!  Corn starch is only mixable in cold water.


Once the sugar and corn starch have dissolved in the water, add the egg yolks and combine well.

Now, you're ready for heat.  Put the saucepan over medium heat and stir stir stir.


See how liquidy it is at this point?  You want to keep stirring and letting the mixture get hot until it comes to a boil.

Now, at one point, something will suddenly happen.  Your wooden spoon will start to feel large clumps in the mixture.  At that point, get ready, because all of a sudden the liquid that you've been stirring will become something more of a custard.  It is very sudden and surprising.  But just wait, and it will happen.  This is where I failed the first time.  I didn't wait for this to happen and hoped the liquid would solidify on its own.  But it will become a creamy pudding-like substance, I promise.   

Once that happens, remove from heat.  Keep stirring your delicious porridge-y yellow mixture, then add in a pat of butter and the lemon zest and juice.  Stir stir stir.  Then pour it into your pre-baked pie crust. 


Now, whip your egg whites until they form stiff peaks.  Fold in the 1/4 cup of sugar into the egg whites, then slather the top of your pie with it.



There we go!


It's actually better looking later if you leave uneven peaks and patterns on the top. 


Bake at 350F for about 15-20 minutes.  Here's what it looks like as it is baking in the oven.  I LOVE process pictures!


Okay, here's the final product!


Deeeeelicious and beautiful too, huh?


See what I mean about the uneven surface?  Doesn't it look pretty to have the rough terrain on the top?  Okay, here's a slice of this baby.


Oh yes!


Take it from someone who is very picky about sweets and desserts.  This pie is just the right amount of sweet and tart.  And the texture combination is a delightful mix of foamy, melt-in-your-mouth meringue and cool, creamy lemon custard.  Wow.


Try making this summery pie today!  The ingredients are easy to find and cost-efficient, and it's wonderful, light change from the heavy fruit pies that blind you sweetness.  Trust me on this, it's so good you might just end up eating it for breakfast :)

Pin It

For a printable version of this recipe, please click here

1 comment:

  1. i like how you listed the things to watch out for - like making sure the liquid turns custardy. i always like reading little tips like those. :) although, i probably won't take your advice....... because i don't really like lemon meringue and probably won't make it. hahahha. wasn't i so tricky (read: dorky) there?

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin