April 13, 2009

Cake Decorating

First of all, please be kind. This is my first foray into the world of cake decorating with an actual piping bag and tips. I bought 2 reusable piping bags specifically for this.
This Easter, my beloved got confirmed at church. It's a happy occasion for both of us, so some of his friends and I threw a small luncheon to celebrate. I decided to make a casserole (i'll write the entry here later) and a celebratory cake. The casserole = no problem. I can whip up about 10 different casseroles at a moment's notice. They're easy. You just assemble, then bake the thing. My mom always says, "Ugh! American people have it so easy! You just throw a few ingredients together and get a main dish!" Unfortunately, Korean food is not even remotely close to that simple. Okay, so the point is, i wasn't worried about the casserole.

The cake. I decided against using fondant because 1) i have never worked with fondant (i will though), and 2) i knew the counter space I'll be working on has nowhere near the capacity i'd need to roll out fondant and cut out shapes.

So no fondant. But i also didn't wanna use store-bought frosting cuz it's just gross. I can't stand the stuff, especially the white frosting. And this needs to be a white cake because it's a confirmation, you know?

The solution was to make my own buttercream frosting. I wasn't as nervous about this because I had made cupcakes with homemade butter cream frosting, and it had turned out quite nicely.
---------------------------------------------------------
Here's the recipe for Butter Cream Frosting:

1 stick of butter, very soft
1 lb powered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
a splash or two of milk (I'm sure whole milk tastes better, but with that 1 stick of butter, i can't bring myself to use anything other than skim milk. to maintain some semblance of health.)

Mix the first three ingredients. Then splash a little milk in there to get the consistency you want. I prefer it a little looser for overall frosting, and a little firmer for detailed piping.

---------------------------------------------------------
First, I split the cake (cooled) in two with a giant kitchen knife. Then I frosted the middle of the cake:Next I plopped the top half on and frosted the rest of the cake. I mixed up a small portion of frosting with blue food coloring, and used it to do the writing. I started with the writing because that is the part that matters most since it reveals the cake's intent, and I need to not be rushed. So here it is, in my standard script i use for writing. Piping letters is not that hard. But just the same, i'm glad my bf has a short name.
Next i trimmed the upper edge with some blue frosting, and made some flowers along the bottom with the same blue. Then i wanted to make some decorative flowers, but I didn't wanna make them pink for a boy's cake. Call me traditional or backwards, but that's just how i feel. So i went ahead and mixed some yellow food coloring and made some flowers using the flat tip. Next i made some green frosting and made leaves, of which i'm very proud. Check out my ghetto artwork! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin