February 19, 2009

Alterna-hummus

This is a recipe that Lindsey sent me a while ago and I am only now getting around to posting it. Believe it or not, it's a recipe for hummus that doesn't use tahini. For the record, i LOVE tahini. It's just that it's quite fattening and high in calories (as any nut- or seed-paste should be), and sometimes you just want some other way to make this delicious chickpea dip that we all love without the calories we can ill afford. Plus, tahini can't be found in all grocery stores in the U.S. (sad truth), so we need a substitute sometimes.

The substitute? Yogurt! Plain, fat-free (if you so choose) yogurt.

Here's the recipe, with some alterations:

1 can of chick peas
1/3 cup plain yogurt
juice of half a lemon (go crazy and add some zest, if you want)
2 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon water
1/2 tsp ground cumin
generous helping of black pepper

Blend and serve! Also fantastic if you put some roasted red peppers in there, as i have in mine. You can find roasted red peppers by the jar in your grocery store, with the pickles and olives.

Thanks Lindsey!! :)

5 comments:

  1. interesting! i must admit i am a little skeptical about the taste factor, but i will give it a try. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was VERY skeptical myself. i was like, uhhh this recipe doesn't have any tahini in it; it's not hummus. but it's still really delicious in its own way and i've grown to really love it. i'd definitely give it a chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I forgot I sent this! LOL... It's my fav!!! mmmmm...Glad you enjoy! I'm going to have to make more soon...running low.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've found that just adding two extra tablespoons of olive oil, and hitting the whole lot of it in a food processor gets me the desired consistancy sans tahini. I make my own curry powder, so I add that instead of just the cumin, and some crushed red pepper flakes cause I like it spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW you make your own curry powder??? that's insane and awesome, Colin! mm i'll have to try it with the crushed red pepper flakes, as i am a big fan of spicy food :D thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin